Sunday, February 15, 2015

{6 & 6}

Yesterday marked exactly 6 weeks since we left and exactly 6 weeks until I fly back home. 41 days to be exact. I'm pretty excited to be counting down from this halfway point, but will still be sure to make the best of every second that I'm here!

This week in school was mostly spent preparing for the Valentine's Day program at school on Friday. A LOT of work went into preparing all the songs, poems, dances, and preparing the decorations. I wish I was able to show you all the performances because they did so well and the parents loved them! Friday was the craziest day that I think I've had yet. Even crazier than crazy week! There was just so much to get done and so little time to do it. Right away in the morning we had to prepare our K2 students with ladybug headbands. Then there was just so much other running around and making sure the music was ready. The parents started showing up around 8:30 and the program started at 9. The principal did some introductions in Spanish and then I translated them to English. Luckily the principal told me what she was going to say because I would not have been able to translate what she said! Then I had to introduce myself to the parents and just tell them a little bit about myself and what I'm doing here.



The Nursery class performed, then the K1, K2, and finally K3 classes. The K2 and K3 class did a performance in both English and Spanish, but the Nursery only did one in English and the Nursery only did one in Spanish. After the performance the parents stuck around for about 20 minutes to take pictures with their kids and with the teachers. The students were so cute in their red and pink and white. They didn't have to wear their uniform on Friday so that they could dress up for Valentine's day.

Valentine's day in Mexico is a little different. They call it El Día del Amor y la Amistad (The day of love and friendship) They emphasize the friendship side of things more than the love. In school instead of bringing treats for the whole class, each student brings one treat or gift for a secret friend and they draw names during their party. One person starts and draws a name they give their gift to the person they draw and then the person that received the gift draws the next name to give their gift to and so on. I believe that is how they do it throughout the whole school, but I know all the kinder grades do it that way. Throughout the week, the student council was selling different items like brownies, balloons, treats, serenades, and kisses on the cheek. In the afternoon they came around and delivered the gifts to the parents and students that bought gifts for others. 

After Friday, I was much ready for the weekend, luckily the forecast was wrong and it didn't rain yesterday and so far it doesn't look like it will rain today. Yesterday Jenn took us to San José to explore a little bit. We had been there 2 years ago the last time we came to Cabo and it was nice to see some familiar places from last time! She took us to Tropicana to eat lunch and Britta and I split the chicken sandwich and tortilla soup. It was delicious. We also asked the waiter what their best drink is and he recommended the blueberry mojito so we both went with that. It was so fresh and delicious, just so Mexico! After lunch we explored around the square a little bit and reenacted a photo from 2 years ago, just missing our other main 3 girls! We were sure to send them a photo and let them know we were there and were thinking of them. When we got back to the house, we lounged around the pool, listening to music. It was a beautiful sunny day! There were some clouds in sight, but none that blocked our sun. 


San José

2 Years ago and Today!

Last night Britta and I planned on going to another soccer game at the school, but when we got in sight of the school there were no cars, no lights, and the gate was locked so we decided to drive down to the beach instead. Something about being on the beach at sunset with the waves crashing and the sky lighting up with stars made us so happy and made us want to dance, so we did. Jamming to music, dancing around in the sand, running away from waves crashing on shore, was probably the best way we could have spent Valentine's day! There were chairs that were set up for a wedding, looks like we were just a little late for the ceremony, couples were down there sitting on blankets, watching the waves, and eating takeout. Britta, "relationship goals." So romantic! We came back to the house and watched some movies and I finally got my HGTV fix with a little Property Brothers! I couldn't think of a better way to spend my night. 


Today is another sunny day so far and it looks like it will be that way most the day so I think a day like this calls for the beach again. I don't think that will ever get old. I won't be ready to go back to the cold of Minnesota. 

More cute puppy pictures from home! Another reason I can't wait to get home. :)












Halfway!!

No comments:

Post a Comment