Monday, February 2, 2015

1|3

Well this past week was the 1/3 mark for our time being here. 1 month down, 2 to go!

The end of the week went by pretty fast and Friday was the first of our 6 observations. The lesson I did with my K3 class went great and I don't think I could have asked for the lesson to go any better. Last Friday we had talked briefly about organic and inorganic garbage and then on Wednesday this week we got another garbage can so the students were able to throw their organic and inorganic garbage away separately. We talked about the different trash cans and reviewed what we had talked about last Friday and then at lunch we put the cans in the front of the room. When they wanted to throw their trash away from lunch they had to decide if what they were throwing away was organic or inorganic and throw it in the right can. They REALLY liked the idea and caught on super fast! It was great. Friday we reviewed a little bit about different things that can go in the different cans. After we did a little reteaching and reviewing, we went outside with flashcards of different objects on them and  the different garbage cans. Each student got a card and had to come up to the front and put it in the correct bin depending on what was on their flashcard. After everyone had got a chance to do it, they all got a card, but weren't supposed to show it to anyone and then the garbage cans were on the other side of the space that we working in. When I said go they were to run to the other side and put their card in the right bin. We took them out and looked to see if they were in the right bin, if they weren't then they normally told me which bin it was supposed to go in and I didn't even have to ask! We played a few rounds of that and on the last one they got them all right! It was great and I'm glad they understand the concept. Thursday we had talked a little bit about trash and how it affects the animal population. A lot of students bring up these awesome topics and we can talk about it with them for a long time and they will just keep talking and asking questions. That's what we like to see is interest for learning, but sometimes with all the book work that we do, we don't always have time to get to it. After our lesson I met with our supervisor and gave me some tips on what I could have done different and told me what I did well. I really like her and I think that she will be a great help and resource to go to during my teaching career.

Friday was another rainy day right after school of course. BUT Saturday was FINALLY sunny (somewhat)! Britta and I could not have been happier. It was sunny but there was a period of hard mist (there is some weird weather and patterns that go on down here). Saturday we went into town and went to the beach. There is a place called Mango Deck right on the beach that is really fun and touristy, but Britta and I like to feel like we are touristy on the weekends :) It is a really fun place to hang out, have a beer and sit in the lounge chairs looking out at the ocean. On Saturday there were 2 cruise ships that were docked. They look huge from up by the house, but even bigger when you are down by them at the beach. Saturday night Britta and I decided that we should see what the night life is all about again. We had done it the last time we were here, but there were some new places and old places that we had not been to before. It was a fun night of dancing and meeting new people and tourists! Especially when we found people from MN or had a connection there. A lot of bachelor and bachelorette parties were encountered!


Had the beach to ourselves on Sunday! 

These are some of my favorite pictures from the beach this week/weekend! All these were taken at the Pedregal Beach, which is the beach just down from our neighborhood on the Pacific side. 

Sunday was another gorgeous day, even more so than Saturday. Britta and I went down to Pedregal beach to be alone and not have so many people bothering and trying to sell us things. It was very relaxing! We both got our first burns since we had been here, but I'd say that's pretty good if this was our first time. I've certainly had worse burns before so nothing that we can't handle. Sunday afternoon we went back into town and watched the Super Bowl through half time. I think Britta and I just wanted to see Katy perform at half time and she did not disappoint. #leftshark was pretty entertaining according to the rest of the social media world. He's trending on multiple media sites!

1. Our very impressive Fitbit stats from Sunday!
2. View from Mango Deck on Medano Beach, cruise ship off in the bay
3. FRESH guac made right in front of us. Holy Moly it was great! 
4. Classroom Aquarium

Today we didn't have school so it was nice to have an extra day to just chill and relax! We met up with another teacher from school who is about the same age as us and this is her first year down here as well. It was nice to talk to someone who could relate with what we felt and are going through being here. We ate at an awesome place in town that we will definitely be going back to! This afternoon we just sat by the pool and did some laundry. It is Clara's 3rd Birthday today and I'm so glad that I was able to face time with those cuties and wish her a Happy Birthday! I'm so thankful for modern technology, especially with all my family so far away.

1. Hard to believe that was already 3 years ago! Last birthday as the baby!
2. FaceTime session with the munchkins :)

This week at school is called Crazy Week. I would compare it to Red Ribbon Week at my school back at home. Wednesday is Pajama day, Tuesday is storybook character day, and Friday is Crazy day! It sounds like the kids LOVE it, especially the ones that I have. It sounds like I will be dressing up with the rest of the Kinder teachers, so I better start getting my outfits ready! I think it will be fun to see the students outside of their typical uniform that they wear to school every day and I'm sure they enjoy getting to wear something different too!

The puppy is still cute as ever and sounds like training is still progressing slowly, but better than nothing! Alli and Jordan got to puppy sit this weekend so I got lots of cute snapchats!



No comments:

Post a Comment