Thursday, July 3, 2014

Vacation: A Day Full of Firsts

I am on vacation this week with Tyler and his family in Black Duck, a lake about 28 miles north of Bemidji. We got here late Sunday night and came to some pretty crappy weather. It was cold and rainy for 2 days when we got here and it had been like that the two days before we got here too. Yesterday was finally a nice day to get out and enjoy some fishing, kayaking, and peddle boating. While out fishing in the morning we were having some pretty good luck with northerns. I caught a good sized one, the biggest at that time, that we kept to clean later. It was a 24" about 3 lb northern. I even baited the hook with a leach. I did not take it off the hook, however, but baby steps! When we were headed up to clean them I even held him outside the fish house. I figured if I did it by the water he would flop out of my hands and back into the lake. While Tyler and his dad were cleaning the fish I normally help by cleaning all the blood off the meat the cut off. I asked Tyler if I should clean my big boy and of course he said yeah! He's been asking if I wanted to clean a fish forever but for some reason today I just wanted to call that fish my own, start to finish. I had watched Tyler clean enough fish to get the just of it and he helped me for a little bit, but I didn't need much guiding! I actually did a really nice job and got some nice fillets from my fish. When I was done there was still one more fish to clean and I said "gimme" and did that one too! I felt very accomplished that I had done it all by myself. Big day! 

Sorry for the graphis photo of the fish guts! 

Until next time...





2 comments:

  1. Good job at cleaning your own fish! It is truly an experience. I feel bad when the fish are still struggling to survive and then you clean them... eww (it almost breaks my heart). Your story reminds me a lot of my fiancé Tyler and I. He lives and breaths fishing. We actually have 12 fish hanging in our living room... not quite my choice of decorating but I am okay with it! But anyways... I also do not take my fish off the line yet, I just feel like I can't get a good enough grip on them to keep them still! I am glad you have a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, good for you! I'm like you and love to fish, but don't have the guts to clean my own fish...haha. Maybe one day I'll be like you and have enough courage to do it on my own! My brother and his girlfriend actually just got back from the lake and brought home northern for supper. There really is nothing that tops having fresh fried fish for supper. I also think it's interesting that you used leeches as bait!? I would be too chicken to bait my hook if I was using a leech, just cuz I'd feel as though it would stick to me. Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete