Wednesday, January 21, 2015

MLK : Tomato Plants : Ocean Animals

This weekend was another great weekend spent relaxing and exploring town a little bit more with Britta. Sunday we had a little time to relax by the pool to prepare for yet another busy week ahead of us! Hopefully next weekend it isn't too cloudy like it was this last Saturday. Then we can head to beach again!


The sunsets are always gorgeous and normally more so on partly cloudy nights because it reflects off them. Seriously, we both will be going back to Minnesota with 90% of our pictures being sunset pictures and possibly some sunrise pictures with these days getting up early for school! Can you blame us though?



This week in school has already been great and I'm teaching more, getting used to the students, and the daily routines. On Monday it was MLK day and since we are a bilingual school we celebrated with a short presentation. The Kinder 2 students presented to the rest of the kinder classes on Monday morning after their flag ceremony. We had practiced a little bit on Friday, but the final result turned out great and I'm proud to show it off for the rest of the school and the parents that come to pick their kids up.

Today the Kinder 3 students were able to paint some pictures using water colors and the final products looked great! I think that they will look great hanging up on the wall in a big "sea aquarium" in the classroom. I was surprised at how well they handled painting with the water colors. Today we were also given the opportunity to plant some seeds in the community garden outside of the kinder classrooms. Our class planted tomatoes! They went out in groups of 5 to toss a few seeds in the ground and the groundskeeper helped everyone and then later covered and watered the ground that we planted. I think that this is a cool opportunity for the students to watch the plants grow and eventually produce food for us to eat! Since this is a much warmer climate than back at home, they have the opportunity, whereas in Minnesota, we don't have that chance unless it is in the classroom.


So on Monday I talked to the sports coordinator at the school about volleyball because I knew that they had a team and my classroom teacher told me that I should go and help out. I was able to go to practice on Monday and the again tonight. After practice tonight there was an open gym for any adults that want to come and play. It was so great finally getting to coach and play again! I was having withdrawals from it all! It gives us something to do at night and even Britta has been joining in with me! The kids are great and it feels so good to get to share my love for volleyball with so many other people, even when I'm not at home. 
Britta and I were able to drive ourselves down to the school from the house in the big Razar. It is super fun and would love to have one if I ever had any place to go off roading. The 4 wheeler that my parents have will be good enough for me though :)


And FINALLY in other news from home. Tyler and I got ourselves a puppy! She's a cutie, but I'm sure the training process will not be easy for Tyler and I wish I was able to be there and help him out. But how could anyone be mad at a face like that? Her name has already been changed once, but I think we are sticking with this last one. We started at Stella and ended up with Kallie. So Kallie it is! 


This week has been going by fast and we are past hump day so it's all down hill from here! We have met our classroom supervisor finally and she is great. I know that we will learn a lot from her and will be a huge help to us in this whole process. 

Stay tuned for another post at the end of the week and one maybe after the weekend to see what kind of adventures we find ourselves getting into!

1 comment:

  1. Too bad the tomatoes won't be ready for you to eat since you love them! I'm glad you're able to play and coach volleyball. Maybe you can be their JO coach each winter!! Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete